atom beingexchanged: Post TechEd update

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Post TechEd update

Well, the show is over, and as usual Microsoft put on one hell of an event. There were quite a few different vendors this year, most likely owing to Microsoft splitting up the event into two differnent shows, one for Devs and one for IT Pros like me. I did get to meet the guy who owns Sperry Software (http://www.sperrysoftware.com/), who makes some of the worlds best utilities for Outlook. Personally I've used a few, but love their Outlook Contact Duplicate Eliminator. For those already using it, Mr. Sperry assured me that the current version doesn't have the annoying plug-in issues on Outloook 2007/Vista anymore!

I was impressed by the overall show, and especially by the depth of different subjects covered both in the Microsoft pavillions and in the sessions. However, I was really upset with the tiny showing of the Messaging and Collaboration (i.e. Exchage) team. The few kiosks that they had were all dedicated to the Unified Messaging and Outlook Office Communication Server functions, and there were few Exchange-dedicated experts to be found among the staff. I guess if they're not launching a new version, it doesn't make a lot of sense to dedicate resources, but still there were a ton of us Exchange folks there, and no one to talk to.

All of the other product lines seemed to be at least decently represented, though. SQL Server, Office Communicator and - of course - the new Server 2008 systems were the highlights of the show, with pleanty of staffers availble to answer questions.

The show itself had one major impact on me. I switched off the iPod and onto a Zune. Long story short, my nearly new Touch from Apple apparently is incompatable with the previous TV Out cables (which I paid a ton for!). That was the final straw for me. No all-you-can eat systems, proprietary file formats, sneaky installation tactics (Safari? You bet, even if you didn't want it...) and all the other recent crap from Apple pushed my tolerance level beyond acceptable, and so I took advantage of the show-only pricing and grabbed a Zune. They have come a long way with ti, and if they get a movie rental partner, the iPod is in serious trouble.

So along with the Vista laptop, Windows Mobile phone and other Microsoft products, now I'm on their portable player as well.

Hmm, I wonder if you can jury-rig it to get your email from Exchange...
Bookmark and Share
posted by Mike Talon at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home